I wasn’t ready for puppy life. I thought we would do some training, take the dog outside to pee and all would be well. He would just walk on the leash because that is what dogs do right? They walk on a leash so why are they not born with that knowledge? Nope. The first time we leashed Forest it was comical. He ran every direction except the one we were headed. Sleep, sleep, where have you gone? Come back, come back…I miss you. I am sorry carpet, baseboards, cabinets, blankets, and pillows. I am sorry you were chewed and slobbered on. He didn’t mean it I promise.
I called one of my friends, who has had a puppy and has 2 children and I said, “I swear this harder than a baby and if one more person tells me you can’t leave your baby in a crate I will loose it!” She told me “Oh, its definitely harder.” I don’t know if that made me feel better or worse.
So I want to share some things my Forest has taught us. Hopefully this will be helpful to the next puppy mom!
*Disclaimer we love Forest to death obviously, we have spent all our coin, time, and sleep on him. He is a Jefferson now and he is here to stay, but I am going to be honest here. So please don’t think we don’t love Forest, trust me he is all the way spoiled and is our fur baby. I have no idea what we will do with him when we have kids, lol. #hewonttakeitwell #prayforhim
1. Dog whining is worse than baby cries: Trust me on this. It will rip your heart right out of your chest. Forest does not sleep in our room. We need some space so when we go to bed, sometimes he will whine. I should get him a job on those Sarah McLachlan commercials because he would collect all of the funds trust me. I just want to sleep/shower/use the bathroom/fold clothes. I am coming back! #whydidntanyonetellme
2. Sleep will become a memory: In the early potty training days, we took Forest out every hour to two hours to make sure he had potty success outside and minimal accidents inside. It worked! Forest rarely peed in the house but it sure cost us sleep. Every 2 hours out you go, and out we went. #teamlittlesleep #thankGodweadoptedhiminthesummer
3. He HATED the crate, HATED IT: Forest wasn’t for us crating him at all. We had some success with a trainer but one night he had a nightmare or something in the crate. We heard him yelp really loud and that was it for the crate. We could put a steak in there and he wasn’t going it there. So I packed up my
$80 the crate and spent $20 more dollars on a bed. He loves it. #ofcourse I hope this sets someone free because we kept trying to make the crate happen, and it wasn’t. We put Forest in the kitchen with a baby gate when we leave home and at night and we are all happier.
4. Everybody loves the FOREST: We take him to day care sometimes (I need breaks and he needs to play with other dogs, don’t judge me) and when I pull up the staff will ask “Is that Forest?”. He had a girlfriend (a human one) where we took him for training. Everyone says he is so cute. I really need to get him in doggy modeling. He is a cutie. I think he knows it to though.
5. Forest has a personality like a human: He is not dumb dog. He is sweet and kind, loves to play, and will lick you to death, but he is stubborn as all hell and if he doesn’t like something he will let you know. I wasn’t ready for this. I didn’t think dogs had attitude. Maybe its because he thinks he is cute. See #4.
6. If you get a puppy, they will destroy at least one thing in your house: There is no way around this. Our major one thing: our carpet. He literally chewed it one day. I believe he bit some of it when chewing on his toy and once he got a piece of it, he kept going. Yea, thanks Forest for helping us make the decision to get laminate flooring. We were thinking about it, but I see where you have cast your vote.
7. He just wants to be close to you: Yep all day baby. He don’t want you to go nowhere. He wants you to just sit with the Forest, lay with the Forest, walk the Forest. He wants to be close to you all day. He is not really satisfied with one of us. After Christmas break he made me feel bad like a mom returning to work after maternity leave.
8. No one will ever be more excited to see you: Forest clearly loves us. He looses his mind when we come home. When I take down the baby gate and set him free, he will run up to one of us and start jumping all over the place. #tooturntup I suppose this makes my lack of sleep, coins, and alone time kinda worth it.
P.S. I am serious about Forest having a job. If anyone knows anyone in the doggy modeling industry feel free to forward this post to them. #callme #heisavailable